Strategies to Prevent and Treat Vitamin D Deficiency
Wow very sorry for not writing in such a long time. It’s been a little difficult these days as second-year medical school has been much busier than I thought it would be. I wanted to post up this table from Dr. Michael Holick’s New England Journal of Medicine review article (N Engl J Med 2007;357:266-81) on Vitamin D defiency and how to prevent it. Basically, many many people we care about – 1 billion worldwide, have vitamin D deficiency. It’s very sad, because not having enough vitamin D can contribute to many diseases — like osteoporosis, and even common cancers, autoimmune disease, infectious disease and heart disease. Please if you get a chance, read the Holick article (http://www.uvadvantage.org/portals/0/pdf/NEJournalofMedicine.pdf). And check out the following table, which is from that article, which can help you make some of your decisions together with your doctor.
8 Comments »
- i’m back! (for a bit)
- a “new” take on eggs — they’re not bad!
- More fish, fish oil, omega 3
- What fish and what fish oil should I eat?
- Strategies to Prevent and Treat Vitamin D Deficiency
- Follow up to Omega-3′s
- Fish Oil Saves Babies
- Youtube Video on Omega-3 and Fatty Acids
- References for Blog Entry Titled, “Fish Oil Saves Babies with Short Gut”
- Hey I’m Back!
- Youtube Summary of Probiotics
- Professor Lamont, Doctor Aas, and the Bacteria